Campbellsburg Real Estate
The city was incorporated by the state legislature in 1840 as "Chiltonsville", in honor of its trustee Charles J. Chilton, but the name was changed within three weeks to "Campbellsburg" for another local family. Later the same year, the local post office at Benevola was renamed "Campbellsburg" as well. The arrival of the Louisville, Cincinnati and Lexington Railroad in 1869 led to a division of the town into "Old" and "New Campbellsburg". The latter was separately incorporated in 1876 but eventually expanded until the two polities merged into the present town.
Campbellsburg's central business district was rebuilt after much of it was destroyed by a tornado on April 1, 1974.